Friday, September 2, 2011

Mont Blanc Gear

This is the list of gear I'm taking to my Mont Blanc trip this year:

- 2x merino base-layer tops (North Face and Icebreaker)
- 2x merino base-layer long-johns (North Face and Icebreaker)
- 3x dri-fit underwear (Nike)
- 2x breathable t-shirts (Adidas)
- 2x thicker tops (Patagonia Capilene 3 zip-neck)
- 2x climbing pants (Berghaus (lighter) and Mountain Equipment salopette)
- 2x base-layer socks
- 2x thick socks
- 1x water-proof socks
- 3x mid-layer / fleece tops (Millet and 2x Patagonia windshield pull-over)
- 1x outer shell / insulation (Patagonia simple guide hoody / Montane flux)
- 1x water-proof jacket (Montane minimus)
- gaiters, gloves (base layer), mittens, hats
- boots (La Sportiva nepal evo gtx)
- crampons, ice axes (2x)
- rack with basic gear / protection (light)
- 60m rope

I have a couple of different ways of building my 'action suit' (as Mark Twight calls it on 'Extreme Alpinism'), depending on whether I'm going for a very active day or not, and depending on how cold it's going to get. Usually I prefer a very light breathable t-shirt (I love my Adidas techfit powerweb) and a Patagonia Capilene 3 over that. If it's colder I will use a long-sleeve base layer instead of the t-shirt. Over that I will use a Patagonia windshield pullover (I like the long zip-neck as it allows for regulating the temperature). That combination is usually enough for me - I'll even take the mid-layer off if I'm too active (I'd rather be somewhat cool than to overheat). I'll wear an insulation shell only if it's too windy, or too cold, or if it's a belay (I like my Patagonia simple guide hoody but I also have a Montane flux which I use when the terrain is not that rough - the Patagonia simple guide is more resistant).

No comments:

Post a Comment